So, you’ve signed up to be a Bright Lights Camp Assistant. Yay! We’re excited to have you join us this summer. You’ll get most of your information on what to expect at our upcoming orientation sessions. Those are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, May 18, 4:30-6 PM, Roper Elementary West Media Center
- Saturday, May 21, 9:30-11 AM, Roper Elementary West Media Center
- All Camp Assistants (CAs) who have not volunteered with Bright Lights before should attend one of these sessions.
After that, you will attend Set-Up Day, which lets CAs meet their teacher before their camp week and help them set up the classroom and learn what they have planned for the camp. Those happen the Friday before each camp week: June 3, June 10, June 17, June 20, July 8.
But for now, here’s some “insider info” about what it’s like to volunteer as a Bright Lights Camp Assistant:
- Show up dressed in your green Camp Assistant t-shirt (we provide it!) and head to the gym to greet campers. The first day is the busiest as campers get into a routine and settle into a new learning environment. And they will be excited to get into the topic they will be exploring all week in your camp.
- You will help herd your campers to your assigned classroom with the teacher in the lead. If you noted on your Camp Assistant application that you prefer a specific grade range, you will be matched with that range if possible.
- In some cases, you will work alongside a second Camp Assistant, setting up and cleaning up activities, supervising recess and escorting campers throughout the building. Plan to spend some time outdoors for recess and other camp activities, too.
- On Wednesday, Camp Assistants located at Roper Elementary, Lux Middle School and Lincoln Southwest Hogwarts Camp gather for an appreciation luncheon. It’s a great way to meet people from other schools as well as your own and talk about your experiences so far.
- At the end of the week, you will say goodbye to a classroom of campers who look up to you and a teacher who is especially thankful that you made a personal investment in their camp. Don’t forget to keep in touch with Bright Lights if you want to return next year! We would love to have you back for another fun camp.
Have a friend who might be interested in being a CA? It’s not too late to apply! Camp Assistant spots are still available, with specific needs in the areas of robotics, engineering, art, science, skateboarding and roller sports. Just have them to go BrightLights.org to apply today!